Kimber Leigh Reads

Review: Hidden Sins by Karice Bolton

Hidden Sins (Luke Fletcher Series #1) - Karice Bolton

I received this book from the author in exchange for an honest review

It's been a long time since I added a book to my favorites list, and I'm so happy to say Hidden Sins is the newest addition. Sure there's action, suspense, and mystery... but what this book really has going for it-- two great characters. The type of characters I'd love to follow in a series. In fact I can't wait for book two,Buried Sins.

The story is very character-driven. If that isn't your thing, then you might be disappointed. Don't get me wrong, the underlying plot driving Hannah's flight is intriguing but takes the background to the developing relationship between Luke and Hannah. At its heart, this is a love story about two scarred individuals finding each other in spite of the harsh realities they've faced.

Hannah is amazing, but then again, so is Luke. There was just something about these characters that spoke to me. Hannah manages to maintain her innocence and not dwell in despair even after everything she's endured. Luke throws himself into his business as a coping mechanism, building a successful security firm. Both went through hell, and somehow not only survived but manage to live. It's rather inspiring.

I read this book in one sitting, not really wanting to put it down once I started. The pacing was quite good, though there were a few slow times in the middle. I found myself skimming at times, but more because I wanted to find out what happened next than anything else. The relationship was insta-attraction, leading quickly to insta-love. But when I like the characters this much, it doesn't bother me. Seriously, in Hannah's position, I'm pretty sure I would've fallen in love with Luke too.

I enjoyed the switching viewpoints between Hannah and Luke. It's always interesting to see both sides of a relationship, especially since Luke's actions come across rather stalkerish without his thoughts and reasoning. Hidden Sins has a rather steamy scene between Luke and Hannah, so I'd recommend it to those 18+. If you like character-driven romantic suspense, be sure to add it to your TBR list.

Source: http://onceuponayabook.blogspot.com/2014/10/blog-tour-hidden-sins-by-karice-bolton.html