Kimber Leigh Reads

Review: Chasing Luck by Brinda Berry

Chasing Luck - Brinda Berry

I received this book from the author in exchange for an honest review

Chasing Luck is a new adult romantic suspense with an intriguing premise and a rather sweet romance. Both main characters have deep emotional scars but somehow manage to find the courage to trust the other. The plot has shades of the paranormal in the rather prophetic boxes Malerie receives from her uncle on her eighteenth birthday.

While it would be hard not to feel sympathy for a character like Malerie, I never really connected with her. Sure she's been through a lot, but her coping mechanisms leave something to be desired. Now Ace, on the other hand, picked up the pieces of a messed up life and made something of himself. I think Malerie was blessed when he walked into her life.

The first quarter of the novel flies by as we are swept from one action scene to the next. The tone of the prologue, from seven-year-old Malerie's point of view was very well-written. About a third of the way through, the mystery is revealed, and the pacing slows down quite a bit. I enjoyed the paranormal aspect of the mystery and really wished that the author had delved a bit deeper into it. The romance between Ace and Malerie moved very fast which, given the extenuating circumstances, was understandable. I wasn't really feeling the love though-- the lust, the romantic tension, yes, but not the love.

There's a brief love scene in this this novel, so I would recommend it for ages 17+. It's an enjoyable read with one quirky character and one endearing character. I wish the mystery plot had been fleshed out a bit more. Though it was wrapped up at the end, I was left with some questions. That said, if you like fun romantic suspense, I think you'll enjoy Chasing Luck.

Source: http://onceuponayabook.blogspot.com/2014/10/blog-tour-chasing-luck-by-brinda-berry.html