Kimber Leigh Reads

Review: The Universes Inside the Lighthouse by Pam Stucky

The Universes Inside the Lighthouse - Pam Stucky
I received this book from the author in exchange for an honest review

Be prepared to completely suspend disbelief when starting The Universes Inside the Lighthouse. If you try too hard to make sense of everything, your brain might implode. Part fantasy, part sci-fi, and all adventure, this novel is a fast-paced story incorporating time travel, multi-verses, and rather interesting characters.

I liked twins Emma and Charlie. They are very supportive of each other, and seem to always have the other's back. Putting the elevators to alternate dimensions in the lighthouses was also intriguing. Other than the romance and the ages of the characters, this book really read more like a middle-grade adventure than YA. Frankly I think the romance wasn't really necessary and pulled me from the aspects I found more interesting.

Everyone was so accepting as they learned about the two aliens in their midst. It made things much easier since there wasn't page after page of denial. Even the adults were eager to accept the outlandish claim. Perhaps their lives were so dull that they were desperate for anything even remotely exciting. It also surprised me how quickly the aliens divulged their secrets. The two had been around for over a century, which made it seem strange that they suddenly needed the help of a group of modern teens. But I guess there wouldn't be much of a story if the aliens remained tight-lipped.

The travel to other dimensions was fun and definitely imaginative. It was by far my favorite part of the book. Overall The Universes Inside the Lighthouse was a fun read with lots of action and an intriguing plot. I recommend it for readers as young as twelve.

Source: http://onceuponayabook.blogspot.com/search?updated-max=2015-03-12T00:03:00-05:00&max-results=7