Kimber Leigh Reads

Review: Awakening by Shannon Duffy

Awakening - Shannon Duffy

I received this book from the author in exchange for an honest review

Awakening was a fast-paced, intriguing story about a supposedly utopian society that really wasn't as wonderful as advertised. I loved the Dreamscape/Terrorscape aspect of the plot. The Terrorscape sounded truly terrifying!

Darien was a great character. After what he endured at the hands of this perfect society, it was amazing he wasn't completely damaged beyond repair. In fact I really liked all of the characters. I was prepared to despise Desiree's Protectorate-chosen mate, yet even he managed to grow on me as the story progressed. Desiree started doubting the Protectorate when she was paired with her childhood bully-- Darien's arrival and revelations merely confirmed her darkest fears.

The story starts out strong, pulling the reader in, and it doesn't let go. There's really never a lull or dull moment in the story. I was so immersed in the characters and their story that I lost all track of time, devouring half the book without stopping. The ending, or lack thereof, just left me wanting the next book sooner not later.

If you like YA dystopian, Awakening is definitely one to add to your TBR list.

Source: http://onceuponayabook.blogspot.com/2015/04/review-awakening-by-shannon-duffy.html