Kimber Leigh Reads

Review - Cerberus by P.K. Gallagher

Cerberus - P.K. Gallagher

*I received this book from the author in exchange for an honest review.*

Cerberus is a dark YA paranormal about an innocent drawn into a war between two opposing supernatural forces. It's the first book in a series, and the ending is a rather massive cliffhanger. The story is an original take on a popular YA paranormal creature, vampires. It's a tale of self-discovery and change set in a gritty urban environment.
Kaeden Parish is a normal teenager, graduating high school and preparing for his future. One night changes all of that, and he's thrust into a paranormal world he didn't know existed. Kaeden is very loyal to family and friends, willing to risk just about anything for them. Following Kaeden as he becomes what he considers a monster is fascinating. It's funny how we deny the things that are right in front of us out of some last ditch grasp at humanity (and sanity).
There are so many interesting characters in this novel. I absolutely loved Caleb, there was just something about his character than I found intriguing. Kaeden's girlfriend, Genesis, is a perfect foil for him. My favorite parts of the novel were the interactions between the characters, especially the dialogue. The descriptions were so in depth that I sometimes felt a bit mired and started skimming. Though, they also help pull the reader into this strange underworld.
I recommend Cerberus to everyone high school and up that enjoys a dark YA paranormal story. The novel does contain graphic violence and gore, so if that's not your thing, you may want to pass. As I stated earlier, this ends in a cliffhanger that will leave the reader begging for the next book.

Source: http://onceuponayabook.blogspot.com/2013/10/blog-tour-cerberus-by-pk-gallagher.html