Kimber Leigh Reads

Review - Gemini Rising by Jessica O'Gorek

Ethereal Fury - Jessica O'Gorek

*I received this book from the author in exchange for an honest review*

I was immediately drawn to the blurb for Gemini Rising. The concept is so intriguing and not something I've run into before. This is the first book of a series, and features an abrupt ending. I'm not exaggerating. It ends in the middle of a scene, in the middle of a conversation, and just as it was starting to get  really interesting. I hate being left dangling, like the computer died and rather than finish the novel, it was published as is. There's a preview for the next book in the series, and it does pick up in the exact spot this one ended.

The prologue is strange. Oliver designs oil production equipment that is destroying the environment. When he dies, he is taken to Mother Earth to perform penance for his sins against Her. So we've got this old man that's turned into one of the Gemini, Mother Earth's warriors against humanity. His new name is Onyx and he becomes taken with teenage orphan Violette when he seeks to infiltrate the church where she resides. I couldn't stop thinking of him as this crotchety old man, though he has no memoires of his past and is no longer human. Strange indeed.

The entire story concept is interesting, but I was left with so much confusion and lots of unanswered questions. The romance between Onyx and Violette is just plain creepy, considering he's possessing a human being to be near her. His obsession is not normal for a Gemini, the fact of which he is well aware. I find it ironic that Oliver. the human, held nothing but disdain for humanity and the environment, yet when he is reborn he develops an unnatural obsession with one.

Gemini Rising is suitable for everyone high school and up. If you are looking for a unique concept consider adding it to your to-read list.

Source: http://onceuponayabook.blogspot.com/2013/10/blog-tour-gemini-rising-by-jessica.html