Kimber Leigh Reads

Review - Phantom Summer by Amy Sparling

Phantom Summer - Amy Sparling

*I received this book from the author in exchange for an honest review*

Phantom Summer is a YA contemporary romance featuring paranormal elements in the form of ghosts. I love the plot; coming of age, mixed with accepting the past, sprinkled with learning to love again. A very haunted island coupled with ghost tours adds just the right amount of excitement.

Taylor lives with constant, gut-wrenching guilt over her best friend/boyfriend's death. She moves to live with her deadbeat mother on Sterling Island to escape the memories that have haunted her since his death. She meets Raine, who runs the local ghost tour company. Pretty soon she's joining him on his ghost hunts even though she's beyond a skeptic. Taylor is a great character. I fell in love with her from chapter one.

Romantic interest Raine is a rather impressive guy. He took over his father's ghost tour company when he was only thirteen after his father was injured. Taylor doesn't really understand his interest in her since she was always considered a loser in her hometown. She's embarrassed by her mother and their less than stellar accommodations, and shocked when wealthy Raine doesn't seem to care.

My favorite part of the novel was the ghost hunts Raine and Taylor went on together. I wouldn't mind reading more about their ghost tours and ghost hunting. Taylor's thoughts can be quite humorous at times, and her remarks (especially during the ghost tours) tend to be witty.

I recommend Phantom Summer to everyone high school and up that enjoys an engaging plot and endearing characters. This novel is a fast-paced read that's difficult to put down once started.

Source: http://www.kimberleighwheaton.com/2013/10/blog-tour-phantom-summer-by-amy.html