Kimber Leigh Reads

Review - Dead Dreams by Emma Right

Dead Dreams - Emma Right

I received this book from the author in exchange for an honest review.

Emma Right has created a lightning fast page turner filled with suspense and intrigue. Dead Dreams is book one so needless to say it ends in a major cliffhanger. I couldn't help but feel a bit disappointed since it's a relatively short book anyway (approx. 50k words or so). It appears that the author plans to divide the entire story into two separate books. It will be interesting to see what Ms. Right does with book two because by the end of book one, it seemed like the story was just about over.

Main character Brie is about as naïve as they come. That's the only reason I can fathom that she'd take new roommate Sarah at her word and trust her. My instincts were screaming early on to not trust that duplicitous girl. Poor Brie is just trying to eke out a living working two menial jobs before attempting to pursue her acting dreams. She gets almost no support from her family (though her mom does complain about her choices constantly).

Enter coal empire heiress Sarah, hiding from her uncle and brother who are after her inheritance. She decides to slum with Brie in an attempt to allude them. Please. There are many ways to hide that don't include a socialite in a tiny apartment. It was suspicious from the beginning. If she was so terrified, wouldn't she move someplace where she'd be safer: better locks, security, etcetera. Brie just shrugs it off and goes about her life, oblivious to the dark plans hatching around her.

While I enjoyed reading this novel, I can't help but think I would have liked it much better if Ms. Right added an additional 10k words and finished the story. There's little worse than being left hanging in the middle of a psychological thriller. Of course I have my ideas of the outcome, but I want the satisfaction that comes with not leaving things undone. It's already an extremely quick read, I finished in just a little over an hour.

If you're looking for an interesting, suspenseful psychological mystery, consider adding Dead Dreams to your to-read list. Just keep in mind that book 2 isn't coming out until next year. Oops, almost forgot...this book is suitable for high school and up.
Source: http://onceuponayabook.blogspot.com/2013/11/blog-tour-dead-dreams-by-emma-right.html