Kimber Leigh Reads

Review - Beautiful Beautiful by Heidi Garrett

Beautiful Beautiful - Heidi Garrett

I received this book from the author in exchange for an honest review.

My review will be short and sweet, just like this novella. I loved the opening scene where Mirabella plays with her father and mother. From the very beginning, we know that Kerrin ends up with an awesome guy named Mark, whose wonderful nature shines through in his interaction with his wife and daughter.

The story alternates between Kerrin telling her daughter the Beauty Beauty story, and following Kerrin through the actual events that inspired her fairy tale retelling. I thought the back and forth would be distracting but it wasn't. In some ways, it reminded me of The Princess Bride, but the scenes with Kerrin and Mirabella are sweet and much more frequent. Not only that, but it's hilarious to see Kerrin's fairy tale take on the events.

I just love modern fairy tale retellings, and this one didn't disappoint. Kerrin is such a sympathetic character, making it easy for the reader to jump on her side from the beginning. Ms. Garrett does a great job taking an important event from Kerrin's life and breathing life into it with just the right amount of backstory. The conversations between Mirabella and Kerrin were simply adorable; I loved them. I do wish Mark was featured just a little bit more in the novella. He's an interesting character in his own right.

Bottom line, if you're a fan of fairy tales, this is a must read. But beyond the fairy tale aspect, Beautiful Beautiful is an enjoyable story with just the right amount of intrigue and romance that will leave the reader feeling happy at the end.

Source: http://www.kimberleighwheaton.com/2013/11/blog-tour-beautiful-beautiful-by-heidi.html