Kimber Leigh Reads

Review - Wind and Shadow by Tori L. Ridgewood

Wind and Shadow: The Talbot Series, Book 1 - Tori L. Ridgewood

I received this book from the author in exchange for an honest review.

Wind and Shadow is the first book in a trilogy, so be forewarned, you will be left hanging at the end. The novel is well written, with long descriptive passages that pull the reader right into the scenes. The characters as well as the plot line are interesting.

Rayvin has experienced more trauma and heartbreak than most. Her latest, in the form of a stalking, vindictive ex-boyfriend, forces her to move back to the hometown that shunned her. It's not easy for her; to have an entire town assume she's a murderer when she's innocent would be quite difficult. Frankly, I'm not sure why she'd put up with it; I don't think I could. Rayvin is a witch with untapped, barely controlled powers. Her mother died when she was young, and Rayvin's training stopped with her death. Her powers isolate her from others, making her a loner.

Grant works for the police in the small town of Talbot. He believed that Rayvin tried to kill his best friend, and though he's attracted to her on many levels, he tries to convince himself that he hates her. When she returns, it doesn't take long for him to throw all those feelings aside in his desire for her. This guy bothered me. Though the reader knows that Rayvin was innocent of the crime, he doesn't. He feels like he's betraying his best friend, and you know what, he is. He never asks Rayvin her side of the story. You'd think he'd want to know before jumping in bed with her. Perhaps if he always had his doubts as to the veracity of the story told by his friend Jason, his actions would make more sense.

This novel starts out a bit slow but picks up about a third of the way through. The point of view switches between Rayvin and Grant, so we get to see the situation from both sides. Sometimes I felt a bit mired in the long, very detailed descriptions. While they do create a rich picture for the reader, they also break up the action. I like the plot; de Sade seems like an interesting adversary. I guess it's a sign of a good story when I'm upset to be left hanging. The events leading to the ending were quite shocking, not the direction I though Ms. Ridgewood would take. All in all, I enjoyed the story and am looking forward to the next book in the trilogy.

Source: http://www.kimberleighwheaton.com/2013/11/book-highlight-wind-and-shadow-by-tori.html