Kimber Leigh Reads

Review - Path Unchosen by Kim Cleary

Path Unchosen - Kim Cleary

I received this book from the author in exchange for an honest review

Path Unchosen is a dark paranormal fantasy that pulled me into its richly developed world from the very first page. I started this book late at night and was loath to put it down. It was the first thing I picked up in the morning, and I finished it before starting my own work.

Judy is a well developed character. My heart ached for her from the first chapter. She's the type of character a reader can really get behind and root for her success. The story opens at the orphanage where Judy has spent most of her life. All she longs for is to escape the drudgery and mistreatment she experiences there. When she learns they plan to keep her there due to her odd powers, she opts to run. What follows is an odyssey of discovery into her true identity and the meaning of her unusual powers.

I love the wealth of interesting characters that parade through the pages of this novel. Judy seems to have an innate ability to attract the staunchest supporters along with the scariest enemies. She is a strong character, well-grounded, hard working, and fiercely loyal to those she considers friends. The lucky girl also manages to attract two potential romantic interests: her otherwordly guardian, Purah and local police captain Glynn. By the end of the novel, she's still as lost in her choice between the two men as the beginning, so I guess we'll have to wait for the next book to see if her heart makes a decision.

Path Unchosen is in the new adult category, but I think it's appropriate for mature high schoolers. Keep in mind, this is a dark fantasy complete with zombies, gore, and minor sexual situations. I really enjoyed this novel and am looking forward to book two in the Daughters of Ravenswood series due out next year. I can't wait to see what Ms. Cleary has in store for Judy.

Source: http://onceuponayabook.blogspot.com/2013/12/blog-tour-path-unchosen-by-kim-cleary.html