Kimber Leigh Reads

Review: Because the Night by Kristen Strassel

Because the Night (The Night Songs Collection) - Kristen Strassel
I received this book from the author in exchange for an honest review

***Due to mature language and content, this book is suitable for ages 18+***

Because the Night was nothing like what I was expecting. This is not some vampire story clone that will leave you yawning. The vivid world created by Ms. Strassel is as intriguing as it is sensual. What better place than Sin City to create a story of sex, drugs, rock & roll, and (of course) vampires. It's a dark world filled with rabid fans, dangerous predators, and power-hungry moguls.

Callie is a rather innocent girl from Martha's Vineyard. When she discovers that the boy who disappeared from her life two years ago is now the guitarist for the hot band Immortal Dilemma, she races to Las Vegas to find him. It seems Tristan is much more than a lost teen now, he's immortal. Callie soon becomes lost in the world of vampires when she can't resist the siren call from Tristan. No vampire story is complete without a love triangle, and that can be found with human, Blade.

Callie falls in love with Blade, but he has his own problems with vampires, especially Immortal Dilemma. When he finds out she's been seeing Tristan behind his back, things go from bad to worse. Callie is caught between the man she loves and the man she desires. In Ms. Strassel's world, the Bloodlust created by sharing blood with a vampire is as addicting as any drug, making it next to impossible for Callie to resist Tristan. I never really liked Tristan much, didn't care for his mournful 'poor me' attitude. Sure he seems sexy as hell, but he's nothing but trouble for Callie. I wish Blade had been in the novel a bit more. Now that is a guy worth fighting for.

This is a rather dark story, so if you're looking for rainbows and unicorns, look elsewhere. There doesn't seem to be a light at the end of the tunnel for those mixed up in the vampire scene in Vegas. Callie becomes lost as her life continues to spiral out of control, and she loses more and more of who she used to be. Be warned, this novel ends in a cliffhanger. Though, I do admit it's a very good one. Can't say I saw that one coming. In fact, the last quarter of the novel completely blindsided me.

Because the Night is filled with graphic sexual encounters and mature content so keep that in mind. I recommend it to those 18+ that are looking for something new and dark in a vampire story. I can't wait to find out what happens next!
Source: http://onceuponayabook.blogspot.com/2013/12/blog-tour-because-night-by-kristen.html