Kimber Leigh Reads

Review: The League of Skull & Bones by M.J. Fletcher

League of Skull & Bones (The Grimm Chronicles Book 1) - MJ Fletcher

I received this book from the author in exchange for and honest review.

While The League of Skull & Bones is book one of the Grimm Chronicles, the characters are featured in an earlier series called The Doorknob Society Saga. While I don't think it's completely necessary to read that series first, I recommend it. I haven't read it, and I felt a bit overwhelmed at times while reading this book. Jessica's prior adventures sound so exciting, I can't wait to read them.

Part romance, part action-adventure, part steampunk with never a dull moment just about sums up this novel. Even though I was lost at times, I still enjoyed the unique and intricate plot. I'm adding all of The Doorknob Society Saga to my TBR list and will probably reread this one when I finish the others. I love the fantasy world M.J. Fletcher has created that parallels the human world. It is really quite fascinating.

Jess is a great, kick-ass female protagonist. She is a fighter through and through, as well as a survivor. Not only that but she's intelligent and witty. Jess is surrounded by espionage and intrigue. Poor girl doesn't know who she can trust. After surviving a horrific attack, she's left with both physical and emotional scars that haunt her on a daily basis.

For a girl who thinks she bears disgusting scars, she seems to have two very attractive men interested in her. Although, she doesn't feel like she can trust either one of them. She is partnered with Ronan to hunt down the woman after her power. He is rather blatant in his advances. I never liked the guy and found it rather annoying when Jess softened to him. I much prefer the powerful and enigmatic Merric.

Alas, this novel ends in one heck of a cliffhanger, so be prepared going in. If you like non-stop action in an intriguing world, add The League of Skull & Bones to your TBR list. Note- I recommend this one for ages 18+ due to mature content.
Source: http://www.kimberleighwheaton.com/2014/01/blog-tour-league-of-skull-bones-by-mj.html