Kimber Leigh Reads

Review: Alec Kerley and the Wrath of the Vampire

Alec Kerley and the Wrath of the Vampire  - Douglas Tanner

I received this book from the author in exchange for an honest review.

I love the Prologue for Alec Kerley and the Wrath of the Vampire. It's based on the Bender family, a group of serial killers in Kansas during the 1800s. If you don't know who they are, check them out--it's an interesting story. It makes the reader feel sympathetic toward the person who becomes the main villain in this story. I also liked the way it was all tied together at the end. Any way you look at it, Kate Bender was a real piece of work.

This is the second book in The Monster Hunters series. I didn't read the first book, and sometimes I felt like I was missing something important. These characters had a life changing adventure together in the first novel. While this is a fine standalone novel, I think readers should pick up the first book and read them in order. Book two ended in a bit of a cliffhanger, so fans will be waiting for book three to find out what happens.

The characters in this novel are quite interesting. There are so many, and yet they all have distinct personalities and mannerisms. I really enjoyed the interaction among them, especially the middle school kids. Mr. Tanner does an amazing job weaving detailed descriptions. It was so easy to imagine the world he created through the vivid imagery.

Alec Kerley and the Wrath of the Vampire is middle grade/YA horror, with protagonists who are middle school students. There is no coarse language. However, there is quite a bit of violence, as well as blood and gore. It isn't the type of material that would bother my thirteen-year-old son or me when I was that age. However, I can definitely see this novel frightening some readers. Parents may want to read this one before giving it to younger readers, so they can assess whether the child is ready for it or not.

Source: http://onceuponayabook.blogspot.com/2014/01/book-review-alec-kerley-and-wrath-of.html