Kimber Leigh Reads

Review: Unbreakable by Elisa Dane

Unbreakable - Elisa Dane

I received this book from the author in exchange for an honest review.

Unbreakable is the second book in the Diamond Girls series about the members of an elite cheer squad. Having been a cheerleader myself, I was immediately drawn to this series. Unbreakable can be read as a standalone or after Ex-Factor (which is also a good book so I'd recommend reading it).

Chapter One really drew me in-- it's very well-written and really showcases the two main characters, Livvie and Reid well. Livvie is an amazing girl; you can tell than just from the blurb. The way Ms. Dane portrays Reid at the beginning really sparked my interest. I always love a tortured soul, but he's just plain hot in addition. Both of these characters wormed their way into my heart. In some ways it made reading harder since there is a lot of angst. But it's also great character development when my heart aches right along with Livvie's.

So far this is an interesting series that I think will appeal to anyone who enjoys YA romance. The peeks into the world of competitive cheer are intriguing, allowing us to see that these girls are true athletes in every sense of the word. It's nice when the characters you grew attached to in one novel also appear in the next. It really adds to the overall enjoyment of the novel.

Unbreakable deals with abuse on several different levels, but it is done in a well-written, tasteful manner. However, as you can imagine, it leads to some scenes that can be difficult to read. Add this to your summer TBR list, but maybe read it at home rather than the beach due to the angst.

Source: http://onceuponayabook.blogspot.com/2014/06/blog-tour-ex-factor-unbreakable-by.html