Kimber Leigh Reads

Review: Boneseeker by Brynn Chapman

Boneseeker - Brynn Chapman
I received this book from the author in exchange for an honest review.

Boneseeker  is an enjoyable historical romance/mystery featuring unique characters, a creepy setting, and a disturbing villain. The story is told from the alternating view points of Arabella and Henry. While this can bother me at times, I liked it for this story. Both views are very important to the development of the romantic relationship.

I really liked Arabella quite a bit. Ms. Chapman did an amazing job modelling Arabella after her famous father Sherlock Holmes. She is intelligent, quick-witted, and perplexed by general societal behaviors. But she also has a softer, vulnerable side that wants to be loved, to be shown the affection she was denied as a child. I can't imagine how difficult it would be for a woman like Arabella back when women were seen and not heard, and most certainly did not pursue science.

Henry is also a great character. Smart, handsome, and fiercely loyal. He's the perfect match for Arabella, and I think she's very lucky that he is so attached to her. Given the time period, I doubt most men would put up with her unfeminine behavior. There is a lot of chemistry between Arabella and Henry. Though Arabella's brain tries to resist him, her heart ultimately wins.

Overall, I think the story is well-written. I felt like I was transported back in time with the dialogue and the descriptions. The initial setting at the Mutter Museum is creepy. Though that could be because I know the kind of things housed there. Let's just say I wouldn't want to be alone at night in that place. The mystery didn't draw me in as much as I had hoped. It almost seemed like it was thrown in as a way to draw Arabella and Henry together. It could just be me, but I was expecting a bit more. The villain was disturbing but lackluster.

The ending was very nice, leaving the reader with an overall good feeling. Boneseeker is a unique addition to the YA/NA ranks. Definitely consider adding it to your TBR list. If you're a Sherlock Holmes fan, it's a must-read.

Source: http://onceuponayabook.blogspot.com/2014/06/blog-tour-boneseeker-by-brynn-chapman.html