Kimber Leigh Reads

Review: Everlasting by Candace Knoebel

Everlasting (Night Watchmen, #1) - Candace Knoebel

I received this book from the author in exchange for an honest review

Everlasting is filled with intrigue, suspense, romance, and paranormal fun galore. This is one of those books that boasts a great supporting cast in addition to the main characters. It begins in a stereotypical manner, with a teen girl knowing she's a failure, dreading banishment, only to find out she's super special. The first part of the book drags due to this internal struggle, but fortunately for the reader, the pace picks up as the story progresses.

I liked main character Faye-- most of the time, that is. She's strong with a stubborn streak that I enjoy in a heroine. Her internal weakness was annoying at times, but frankly with the cards she's been dealt it's completely understandable. Jaxen is the typical closed-off male lead present in lots of paranormal books. I know these guys usually have a reason for this behavior but it still bugs me.

I really liked the cast of secondary characters, including the villains. These secondary characters make the story shine. There is enough suspense to keep the pages turning, even though it starts slower than I'd like. I'm not sure how I feel about the love triangle of sorts. Jaxen and Faye's budding relationship is like a rollercoaster and not the fun kind.

Since Everlasting is book one of a series, the cliffhanger ending is really no surprise. If you're looking for a YA paranormal with lots of twists and turns, I think you'll enjoy this book. BTW, I love the colors on this cover.

Source: http://onceuponayabook.blogspot.com/2014/10/blog-tour-everlasting-by-candace.html