Kimber Leigh Reads

Review: Hemlock Veils by Jennie Davenport

Hemlock Veils - Jennie Davenport

I received this book from the author in exchange for an honest review

Hemlock Veils is a beautiful urban retelling of the classic story Beauty and the Beast. Set in the Oregon wilderness, it's easy to imagine the small town and its secrets hidden deep within the Mt. Hood National Forest.

Elizabeth is running from a painful past and guilt she can't let go. When her car breaks down within a couple miles of Hemlock Veils, she sees the small town as her chance for a new life. The entire town is haunted by a monster that roams the forest at night. Elizabeth sees more than a monster, she sees a kindred spirit hurting as much inside as she is. Henry runs the town of Hemlock Veils. No, he's not the mayor, but the residents defer to him in everything. It's actually quite creepy. He and Elizabeth develop an uneasy friendship over time.

This novel is beautifully written with flowing prose and easy dialogue. I did think it moved a tad slow, especially in the middle. There were a few times when I skimmed through to get to the next scene (mainly skipping some of the longer descriptions). Ms. Davenport did a great job developing the relationship between Elizabeth and the beast.

I really liked Elizabeth- she was strong, sweet, and intelligent. She managed to be hopeful even after the tragedies she has endured. Henry was an enigma. He was intent on scaring Elizabeth away in his ill-attempt at protecting her. When will men learn? Overall I really enjoyed Hemlock Veils. I liked the ending, and the epilogue was intriguing. If you're a Beauty and the Beast fan, then this retelling is a must-read.

Source: http://www.kimberleighwheaton.com/2014/12/hemlock-veils-by-jennie-davenport.html