Kimber Leigh Reads

Review: The Body Electric by Beth Revis

The Body Electric - Beth Revis

I received this book from the author in exchange for an honest review

The Body Electric is an intriguing story that takes place several hundred years in the future. Since seeingDreamscape & Total Recall, I've been fascinated with the potential for dreamwalking and memory manipulation, so I was very excited to read this book. The best part of this novel is the story line. It's a unique twist to the dystopian future world plot, delivering action as well as some unexpected twists and turns.

Now, prepare to suspend disbelief, because so many things in the novel are fantastic, not to mention confusing at times. There were several dream scenes that left me scratching my head. I think to enjoy this novel, you just have to accept that this is the way things are in this dystopian future and not question the science behind the fantastical ideas. Ms. Revis has a great imagination that shines throughout the book.

The characters... well I liked them just fine, I suppose, but I never connected with main character Ella. It's another instance of feeling like an outsider looking in, rather than experiencing what the main character does. In fact all of the characters, though well-developed were still somewhat two dimensional for me. Jack was an enigma from the beginning, a mystery that compelled me to keep reading out of curiosity.

Overall, I enjoyed The Body Electric. I feel it's definitely more plot driven than character driven. Though it doesn't dominate the story, there is a touch of sweet romance between Ella and Jack. Great imagery, an imaginative plot, and lots of action/suspense, make it a worthwhile read.

Source: http://onceuponayabook.blogspot.com/2015/01/the-body-electric-by-beth-revis-review.html