Kimber Leigh Reads

Review: The Day Human Prince by B. Kristin McMichael

The Day Human Prince - B. Kristin McMichael

I received this book from the author in exchange for an honest review

The Day Human Prince is an urban fantasy featuring day humans who live in our normal world and night humans who drink day human blood to survive. I'm torn between 3.5 and 4 stars on this novel. There were so many things I liked-- the plot was interesting, and I enjoyed Devin and many of the secondary characters.

Nessa was a sidhe warrior, a night human, who bonded with Devin, a day human, to save his life. Unfortunately this was far from a match made in heaven, and the two of them set out to find a way to break the bond. I have quite mixed feelings about Nessa. I really didn't like her much at the beginning (aside from saving Devin which was quite noble). While her character did grow on me, I never felt that connection I like to have with main characters.

On the other hand, I loved Devin. Strong, loyal (to a fault), intelligent-- he was a well-rounded, easy-to-love character. I loved the scenes where the sidhe underestimated him. They made for great fun. The story was unevenly paced. I would plow through certain sections, then become mired. I also felt like there was too much repetition. I enjoyed the world building and the story, as well as the myriad of fantasy characters.

If I'm not mistaken, this novel is a spin-off from the Blue Eyes series. I think it might be better to read these books first. Many characters from these books were mentioned in passing, leaving me with questions. Overall, the story was enjoyable. If you like YA urban fantasy, especially stories featuring fae, then I think you'll like The Day Human Prince.

Source: http://onceuponayabook.blogspot.com/2015/04/review-day-human-prince-by-b-kristin.html