Kimber Leigh Reads

Review - Crazy Ex-Ghoulfriend by Angela Roquet

Crazy Ex-Ghoulfriend - Angela Roquet

*I received this book from the author in exchange for an honest review*

Crazy Ex-Ghoulfriend is a refreshingly different YA paranormal, featuring romantic elements and zombie goodness. I love the whole premise, it's really quite funny. Angela Roquet did an excellent job creating a fun, fast-paced novel with laugh out loud comic appeal and amusing characters that manage to break out from the standard molds.

Janie's been in love with her best friend and next door neighbor, Wayne, for years. Senior year he hooks up with the most popular girl in school, Matilda, and disappears from Janie's life. Poor Janie is the butt of the popular girls' disdain and pathetic jokes. When Matilda dies and shows up in Janie's bedroom, she's forced to cooperate with the zombie or risk a padded cell. The antics that follow are not only humorous, but also an interesting insight into the social structure of a high school.

The reader is set up from the beginning to dislike Matilda, but that changes once Janie gets to know her better. Matilda is an expert at manipulating others and the system. Her goal is to turn Janie into one of the most popular girls in school so Janie can choose the theme for the Prom. All Janie wants is to be with Wayne, but Matilda's return makes that difficult. I loved the way Ms. Roquet portrayed zombie Matilda.

The dialogue and character interactions were fun, humorous, and witty. Even the secondary characters were well written and developed enough to make them interesting. Eddie was one of my favorite characters, though, I really wish he'd been developed a bit more since he ends up being so important to the story.

I recommend Crazy Ex-Ghoulfriend to everyone high school and up looking for some fun comic relief amidst too much seriousness. If you like laughing and zombies, then this is the book for you.

Source: http://onceuponayabook.blogspot.com/2013/10/blog-tour-crazy-ex-ghoulfriend-by.html