Kimber Leigh Reads

Review - Effectuation by Carlyn Greenwald

Effectuation: (Trace Trilogy, Book 1) (The Trace Trilogy) (Volume 1) - Carlyn Greenwald

I received this book from the author in exchange for an honest review.

Effectuation is quite an intriguing read. I'm really still on the fence about this one. While there were quite a few things I really liked about the novel, I guess I never really connected with the characters. Though, Effectuation is the first book in a trilogy, it only had a mild cliffhanger ending. Sure it was left a bit open for the next novel, but the major conflict was settled to a more satisfying extent than most that I've read lately.

Ewan is a twenty-one year old college student who is completely responsible for his thirteen year old sister, Kate, while their parents are gallivanting around the globe trying to make the world a better place. They've been gone for four years, left when Ewan was only seventeen. I guess they missed the memo about parenting being the most important job a person can have. The Skype interactions Ewan and Kate had with their parents were enough to turn my stomach.

I never was able to make any sense of antagonist Terra. She was an odd one. Part of me liked her, even though she was a killer. It'll be interesting to see where Ms. Greenwald takes Terra's character in the series.

This book is definitely plot driven; the plot is intricate and different from things I've read in the past. It also can be a bit confusing at times. It left my brain a bit muddled after some of the scenes. The story is action packed. I couldn't help but feel a bit sorry for Ewan as his life went up in flames. Overall, the characters and plot were interesting enough to keep me reading. This novel contains graphic violence, mature content/language, and sexual situations. It is definitely for the 18+ crowd.

If you're looking for something different in the New Adult market, consider adding Effectuation to your to-read list.

Source: http://onceuponayabook.blogspot.com/2013/11/blog-tour-effectuation-by-carlyn.html