Kimber Leigh Reads

The Trouble with Spells (Of Witches and Warlocks #1) - Lacey Weatherford The Demon Kiss: Of Witches and Warlocks - Lacey Weatherford

Review - Of Witches and Warlocks series by Lacey Weatherford

I received these books from the author in exchange for an honest review.

I read the first two books in the Of Witches and Warlocks series. My review will focus on the first book since I don't want to introduce too many spoilers. The Trouble With Spells is a fun paranormal romance with endearing characters and an interesting plot. It's the first in a series of five books; these are not standalone novels and should be read in order.

Main character Portia is a fun character. On her sixteenth birthday she learns that she's a witch with amazing powers (she also learns she's the brand new owner of a nightmare of a ride - so funny). Portia handles the news with aplomb brought on (I think) mostly by the sexy warlock that is part of the whole package. Being a very powerful witch, her family is unsure exactly how to train her. Lucky for Portia, everything seems to come naturally, and she wields her power with ease.

Romantic interest Vance has been watching Portia for two years, waiting for her to come into her powers on her sixteenth birthday when he can reveal himself and his love for her. What a lucky girl. Vance is presented as tall, dark and handsome, as well as deeply troubled by a horrific past. His father is an evil warlock intent on using Vance for his own nefarious purposes. Vance is in hiding from his father but worries that it's only a matter of time until his father finds him. He also deals with dark urges that he fights constantly; I don't know if they are caused by his father's dark rites when he was a boy or genetic...perhaps both.

Portia and Vance share a deep bond. They can hear each other's thoughts, and it's physically painful to be away from each other. If you're not a fan of insta-love, you may be turned off by the depth of their feelings for each other. They spend almost every moment together, awake and asleep, since even sleeping apart is difficult. The scenes between them are sappy; at times Vance is over the top romantic. He's also that over-protective type who will keep secrets if he thinks it'll keep Portia safe.

I recommend the Of Witches and Warlocks series to everyone high school and up that enjoys a magical paranormal romance. If you like reading about deep, passionate insta-love, then this is definitely the book for you. I enjoyed the first two books and have added the rest to my TBR list.

Source: http://onceuponayabook.blogspot.com/2013/11/blog-tour-of-witches-and-warlocks.html