Kimber Leigh Reads

Review: TaleSpins by Michael Mullin

TaleSpins - Michael Mullin

I received this book from the author in exchange for an honest review.

I love fairy tales. Most of my regular readers know this. But did you now I also love Dr.Seuss and Shel Silverstein?  I was blown away when I opened TaleSpins and began reading. Author Michael Mullin combined my love for fairy tales with verse poetry.

Anyone who's had a poetry assignment in school can understand how difficult rhyming, metered verse can be to write. I'll be the first to admit that by college, my poetry assignments had turned to mostly free verse. So I enjoyed this book on two levels. First, I loved the stories; they are thoughtful and cute. Second, the writing, the time and thought that went into this book is awe-inspiring. Michael Mullin is a talented guy.

Creepy the dwarf is a hilarious creation. Not only that, but the story itself was quite enjoyable. That's Creepy on the cover (which I also love--BTW). The second story was my favorite. I loved Princess Penny; her sarcasm was second to none. The Plight and Plot of Princess Penny was an interesting story with a great moral. The last story was a bit chilling. Jack'd is an inventive re-telling that gave me the shivers toward the end. It's quite eerie.

I highly recommend TaleSpins to everyone middle-school and up. If you wish Dr.Seuss had written something for the older crowd, I think you'll really enjoy this collection of stories. I absolutely loved them!!

Source: http://onceuponayabook.blogspot.com/2014/01/blog-tour-talespins-by-michael-mullin.html