Kimber Leigh Reads

Review: Blood Bath by Rachel Rawlings

Blood Bath - Rachel Rawlings

I received this book from the author in exchange for an honest review.

Blood Bath is the fourth book in the Maurin Kincaide series. I haven't read the previous books but after reading this one, I will be adding them to my TBR list. While I think you can enjoy this novel without reading the first three, I highly recommend reading them first. If you've read Laurell K. Hamilton's Anita Blake series, I think you'll find some similarities (without the graphic sex that plagued the later books) -- so I think fans of that series will like this one.

Maurin is an intriguing character. She is descended from a powerful fae lord and that power runs through her veins, literally. She has more male suitors than any woman should, leaving me to wonder what exactly is drawing all of these powerful men to her. There's a lot of jealousy and baiting among the men, reminding me of a high school drama. Maurin is a rather kick-ass woman which I always appreciate in a heroine.

I liked the villains, Caligula and Countess Bathory. Both very interesting historical figures. Though I do wonder how there are any women left in the world with Countess Bathory roaming around as a vampire. There were lots of things I liked about this novel: Maurin, the villains, Conry, the inclusion of fae along with the other preternatural characters. But there were also some things I found off-putting: the constant rivalry and jealousy among the men (some definitely old enough to know better), and the relationship drama being the main plot line rather than the mystery.

Overall, I found Blood Bath to be an enjoyable read with fun characters and an interesting plot. I'm looking forward to reading the rest of the series.

Source: http://www.kimberleighwheaton.com/2014/06/blog-tour-blood-bath-by-rachel-rawlings.html