Kimber Leigh Reads

Review: Darkness by Elizabeth Arroyo

Darkness - Elizabeth Arroyo

I received this book from the author in exchange for an honest review

Darkness is a YA psychological thriller full of mystery and suspense. The first third of the book was intense, making it impossible to put down. Unfortunately that didn't continue throughout. I have to say that main character Carly really brought out my mothering instincts. I couldn't relate with her on any level, but I sure felt for her while reading.

Carly survived an attack that resulted in the death of her best friend. Due to PTSD or something else, she has little memory of what happened. The poor girl felt so guilty that she embarked on a personal crusade to catch the culprit. In the beginning I liked Carly, felt tons of empathy for her... but as the novel progressed and her overall craziness continued, it started to become annoying.

I didn't really like romantic interest Hunter. From the beginning, it was obvious he was either disturbed or other (can't say- spoiler). His intense interest in Carly was creepy, especially after his secret was revealed. So every interaction between those two kind of grated on my nerves. Carly's family annoyed me as well, especially her mother. She was quite the self-centered woman.

Like I said earlier, the novel started off with a bang, and I was hooked. It wasn't until about 1/3 of the way through that things started to slow and drag. Carly's episodes and craziness became old, and I just wanted things to move forward. When I reached the last quarter, things weren't moving too fast, but I never felt a sense of closure. Carly remains unsure what happens, and so does the reader. There was an intriguing plot in there that was never fully revealed. Perhaps I just missed something, but I was looking for more information after the build-up. I was left with too many questions to be satisfied with the story.

Source: http://onceuponayabook.blogspot.com/2014/09/book-review-darkness-by-elizabeth-arroyo.html